In 2020, a unique opportunity arose for The A1 Steam Locomotive Trust to acquire BR Mark 1 BSK E35457 for eventual use as the support coach for No. 2007 Prince of Wales. Brake Corridor Second (BSK) E35457 was built at Wolverton in 1963, is fitted with Commonwealth bogies and was most recently used as the support coach for BR standard class 4 No. 76084. In surprisingly excellent condition, E35457 will require minimal work other than the reinstatement of its dual-brakes and the addition of a similar electrical system to that fitted to E21249, No. 60163 Tornado’s support coach.
In November 2020, E35457 was moved from North Norfolk Railway to Great Central Railway. We shall conduct a full survey of our new acquisition to plan the work we wish to undertake to improve the vehicle for our own use. The additional features we have on Tornado’s Support Coach make operations and living on the coach so much easier and we will look to add these to E35457 in time.
It is our desire to leave No. 2007 debt free and therefore our aim is to raise an initial £100,000 from 100 supporters each donating £1,000 (in up to eight monthly payments of £125 by standing order) towards the acquisition, overhaul and conversion of BR Mark 1 BSK E35457.
In recognition of their support, donors will receive:
- Exclusive certificate signed by David Champion (President) and Steve Davies MBE (Chairman) of The A1 Steam Locomotive Trust
- The opportunity to buy a ticket (seat already reserved) on one of the first trains hauled by No. 2007 Prince of Wales
- Reasonable access to No. 2007 and No. 60163 at all times
- Special supporters’ day with Tornado
- Two tickets (booked in advance) to travel behind Tornado or Prince of Wales in E35457 on a heritage railway and commemorative photograph with the locomotive and coach.
If you would like to support No. 2007 Prince of Wales by subscribing to The P2 Support Coach Appeal, then please either complete the on-line forms in section 1 or download the forms in section 2 below:
Section 1: on-line donation (top of page)
I would like to donate £1,000 to subscribe to The P2 Support Coach Appeal for Gresley class P2 No. 2007 Prince of Wales
- A single donation of £1,000.00
- 4 monthly donations of £250.00
- 8 monthly donations of £125.00