Our concept when we launched the project to build No. 60163 Tornado in 1990 was that it should be funded by a lot of people giving a small amount of money on a regular basis. Supporters could covenant (donate) the equivalent of the price of a pint of beer per week –beer was just £1.25 a pint in the North East of England at the time. Much of Tornado as you see her today has been funded by this means – and continues to keep Tornado on the main line where she belongs.
HMRC replaced Deeds of Covenants with Gift Aid at the beginning of the century but our supporters still call themselves Covenantors as a badge of honour! As a registered charity, this enables The A1 Steam Locomotive Trust to claim back from HMRC the tax that you have already paid on your donations. For example, for every £10.00 that you donate, we could claim an additional £2.50, making your contribution worth £12.50.
Our ‘P2 for the price of a pint of beer a week’ donation scheme already has over 940 participants and raises over £200,000 per annum. Please come on board and help speed the construction of No. 2007 Prince of Wales. In recognition of their support, regular donors receive:
- Opportunity to buy ticket (seat already reserved) on one of the first trains hauled by No. 2007 Prince of Wales
- Reasonable access to No. 2007 at all times
- Print of the launch painting of Prince of Wales by Jonathan Clay
- Opportunity to join one of the teams building No. 2007
- Monthly e-newsletter The Mikado Messenger
- Invitation to the annual convention and other exclusive events
- Covenantor card and opportunity to buy exclusive tie
- Your name inscribed on the Roll of Honour at Darlington Locomotive Works
For further information download our regular donation/covenant scheme leaflet here.
If you would like to support No. 2007 by making a regular donation from as little as £2.50 per week then please either complete the on-line process in section 1 or download the forms in section 2 below:
Section 1: On-line Donation