Vacancy: Senior Steam Locomotive Fitter (Engineering Technician)
*Previous applicants need not re-apply*
An exciting opportunity has arisen to join The A1 Steam Locomotive Trust (A1SLT) as a Senior Steam Locomotive Fitter (Engineering Technician).
A1SLT is the UK’s premier organisation for the building of brand new full-size steam locomotives. A1SLT is now seeking an experienced Engineering Technician to join its team.
This critical role will lead the delivery of planned maintenance and repair work arising on new build locomotive, A1 Peppercorn Pacific 60163 Tornado
and Mk I support coach No.21249 in operation on the main line and preserved railways. Additionally, this role will be required to undertake construction work and subsequently undertake planned maintenance of the second locomotive, Gresley P2 2007 Prince of Wales
being constructed now by the Trust.
The successful applicant will be adept in all aspects of steam locomotive running maintenance and be able to supervise volunteers and staff working on the locomotive. Experience of mainline steam locomotive operation would be a significant advantage. The role delivers engineering activity as part of planned and scheduled maintenance as well as administration and IT skills.
Although the role will be part of the team based in Darlington, where the company has dedicated workshop facilities, it is primarily focussed on the maintenance and operation of Tornado,
wherever that may be from mainline depots to Heritage locations around the UK. There will be a need for extensive travel and time away from home.
- Demonstration of competence (or relevant experience) of, or equivalent to, NVQ in Rail Engineering, Traction and Rolling Stock Level 3. Formal qualifications to this are level desirable but not essential.
- Excellent mechanical and electrical skills, especially:
- Engineering Fabrication, brazing and welding.
- Motion, bearings, axlebox and valve arrangements.
- Boiler work, steam / boiler fittings, pipework and valves.
- Air brake systems.
- Experience of working in a safety critical environment.
- A team player, conscientious, reliable and hard working
- Good communication skills, both in person and in writing.
- Good basic IT skills; familiar with MS Office toolset.
- Current footplate competence as a passed Driver or Fireman
- Current Sentinel Card holder or TOC PTS.
- Willing and able to drive vehicles
The role attracts a salary of c.£28,000 dependent on experience.
For further information, a copy of the role description or to apply please contact email@example.com
. Applications should include a covering letter explaining why you are interested in the role and how your experience and skills match the demands of this position. Applicants should also include an up to date CV.
Applications must be received by 22nd
July 2019 and interviews will be held shortly afterwards.