Tornado crosses Oldbury Viaduct on the Severn Valley Railway - Jack Boskett
Tornado’s packed main line and heritage railway diary for the rest of 2015 includes (see www.a1steam.com for details):
- 6th November - The Golden Age of Travel lunchtime excursion – Belmond British Pullman
- 8th December – Christmas Lunch – Belmond British Pullman
- 12th December – Christmas Lunch – Belmond British Pullman
- 31st December – 'The Peppercorn Phoenix' – York to Newcastle and return – A1SLT - CANCELLED
- 14th February - 'The Red Rose' - Paddington to Worcester and return - bookings through UK Railtours
- 2nd April - 'The Devon Belle' - Waterloo to Exeter and return - bookings through UK Railtours
The Trust respectfully requests that anyone wanting to see Tornado follows the rules of the railway and only goes where permitted.
In 1990 a group of people came together to share an extraordinary ambition - to construct a brand new Peppercorn A1 Pacific. They formed The A1 Steam Locomotive Trust and after nineteen years of incredible effort that locomotive, No. 60163 Tornado, moved under its own power for the first time in 2008.
This website tells the story of Tornado's construction, an amazing tale of cooperation, skill and sheer hard graft which defied the critics who said it could never be done. The A1 Trust has over 2500 regular supporters (covenantors) who have all played some part, small or large, in guaranteeing that we have steam on the main line in the 21st Century.
Tornado is now fulfilling the dream, hauling specials on the mainline and giving joy to thousands of passengers and linesiders who want to witness the legend in action. You can be part of this by travelling with us or by becoming a covenantor, helping us to raise the funds to keep the dream alive.
Come and have a look at the products in our Online Store.