** Note – We have been asked if Tornado will be in steam over the Bank Holiday weekend and advise that the loco will not be operating. We are approaching the final stage of reassembly and will advise when test running is to begin, which we anticipate will be the first week of September following various independent inspections
Update – 10th August 2018
The A1 Steam Locomotive Trust and its contractors are continuing the work to return No. 60163 Tornado to operational service. We are pleased to report that the two outside engines are now rebuilt and ready for final inspection before testing and running in operations. In the coming week the equivalent work will be undertaken on the inside engine so that the locomotive can then be weighed and prepared for steaming. It is anticipated that Tornado will make its first moves under its own power around the Bank Holiday weekend. We are pleased to confirm that all of the components required for the reinstatement to traffic of No. 60163 are now to hand or undergoing final machining. This includes the replacement outside union link which has been manufactured by Stephenson Engineering of Manchester.
The Trust would again like to apologise to those who have had their plans disrupted. It is now anticipated that Tornado will undertake running in operations at the Nene Valley Railway before returning to main line operations on Saturday 29th September with ‘The Ynys Mon Express’ from Leicester to Holyhead.
The following alterations will now apply to Tornado’s diary for the remainder of 2018 (passengers are in the process of being written to):
- Monday 27th August – ‘The Canterbury Tale – Peterborough to Canterbury – Cancelled
- Saturday 8th September – ‘The Devonian’ – Birmingham to Plymouth – Postponed to Spring 2019 (date tbc)
- Saturday 15th September – ‘The Talisman’ – London to Newcastle – steam leg hauled by No. 60009 Union of South Africa
The following rail tours will then be hauled by No. 60163 Tornado with tickets available from our booking agent UK Railtours on 01438 715050.
- Saturday 29th September – ‘The Ynys Mon Express’ – Leicester to Holyhead
- Sunday 7th October – ‘The Auld Reekie’ – Doncaster to Edinburgh – (Deltic D9009 on the return leg)
- Saturday 1st December – ‘The Christmas Border Raider’ – Birmingham to Carlisle via the Settle and Carlisle Railway
The A1 Steam Locomotive Trust would again like to apologise to its loyal passengers and supporters for the disruption caused following Tornado’s failure on 14th April and subsequent time out of traffic undergoing inspection and repairs. We would like to thank all of our volunteers, staff and contractors for their hard work over the past few months to return Tornado to main line service.
A much better sight! Tornado’s left hand motion is re-assembled – Graeme Bunker-James