60145 was built midway in the construction of the A1s and in several ways was always ‘in the middle’ for events like repainting – but became notable as the final member of the British Railways-built class to survive. It was authorised on 2nd May 1946, in LNER days, as part of that year’s programme. The Darlington Works Order to build 60130-52 was issued in January 1947. Two years later, under BR, 60145 was noted “nearly complete” on 28th February. As Darlington Works No. 2064 it was completed in March with 60144, making them the 15th and 16th of the 23-strong Darlington batch. With 60124 complete in Doncaster this made March’s trio the 25/26/27th of the class –about midway. Like all Darlington A1s, plus 60114-26 of the Doncaster build, 60145 was turned out resplendent in LNER green with black and white lining but with BR’s name spelt out in block capitals on the tender. Like all the previous 14 Darlington examples old gold was used (as in the post-war LNER livery) for the numbers and letters instead of the usual light cream. Other features in common with other Darlington A1s were the casings for the splashers over the rear coupled wheels dipping towards the rear and the cabsides and tender having the rivets countersunk to give a smooth finish. As with the rest of the class a ‘plain’ double chimney of sheet metal with beaded edge was fitted; one school of thought being that a lipped one would obscure the view by disturbing the airflow set up by the smoke deflectors.
Entry into service was from Gateshead (52A) on 23rd March 1949 as one of a dozen shedded there – soon to increase to 14. Our first sightings show it at Darlington on the 25th, on Darlington shed on April 3rd then hauling the 2.12 pm Darlington- Leeds train on April 16th. The A1s coped with all kinds of work on the ECML. As early as 14th May 60145 was hauling the most prestigious ‘namer’ – the “Flying Scotsman” – with 13 coaches from Edinburgh to Newcastle. The Durham coast route was worked too with the 10.25 pm from Newcastle to Kings Cross on 20th August. It took part in another typical A1 run of the time: the 9.20 am Delaval- Holloway ecs leaving Stockton as usual double-headed by a B1 (61065) to Thirsk with the 18 coaches. Before the year was out 60145 had travelled along much of the East Coast routes, being seen from Edinburgh Waverley (and Haymarket shed) to Neville Hillshed and Grantham.
On 19th April 1950 60145 returned to Darlington Works for weighing. However, it was to Doncaster Works where it went for its first general overhaul from 17th July to 23rd August. This was the occasion when locomotives were named and the green A1s were repainted blue with black and white lining but plain black cylinder covers. With 60124 and 60145 turned out in blue that August this made them the 22nd and 23rd so repainted and given more of an identity. Saint Mungo refers to the Celtic saint Kentigern who was born in Fife but later moved west. His nickname Mungo means ‘dear one’. A community formed round him called ‘Clasgu’ (“dear family”) hence he is regarded as the founder of Glasgow. In fact Glasgow Cathedral is built on the site of his 7th century wooden church. He is said to have performed four miracles in Glasgow. Another named express was hauled when, on 22nd December, the down “West Riding” was worked. From this time lipped chimneys were fitted to all A1s – usually in the course of repairs at Doncaster. 1951 saw 60145 in Gateshead Works on 10th June. An uncommon working was the 5.17 pm Leith-Marylebone train which pulled into Newcastle on 21st July. The Up “North Briton” was worked into the Tyneside city on 15th September. Repainting into BR green with orange and black lining came in January 1952, one of four that month, making them the 19th-22nd ones so treated.
60145 Saint Mungo at Heaton MPD in 1966 – John Arnott-Brown
The 1950s have been said to be the A1s’ heyday when they were able to produce power to haul big loads and keep time competently especially while the A3s were in poor condition. From 1952 Saint Mungo worked expresses like the “Flying Scotsman” many times for the next six years, more so than other named trains. Taking late 1954/early 1955 we find it entering Newcastle with the Up train on 25/26th Oct, 6/13th Nov, 2/18/29/31st Dec and 12/26th Feb. Other ‘namers’ include the Up (into KX) and Down “Tees-Tyne Pullman”, Down “Northumbrian” and the Up train into Kings Cross, Down “North Briton” both into and from Newcastle, Up “Heart of Midlothian” and Down “Talisman” from Kings Cross. Not only were ordinary East Coast trains hauled but also specials like the additional Edinburgh-KX train of 3rd August 1956 which it brought into Newcastle and the Down X387 troop special leaving Tyneside at 1140 am. Parcels trains worked were usually the York-Edinburgh one. Goods were hauled too, the first noted being the Penzance-Aberdeen from Newcastle on 20th June 20th. A dozen times between October 1956 and January 1957 60145 hauled the Colwick-KX goods. Workings between Edinburgh-Newcastle via Carlisle were 20th March 1955’s seed potatoes and 28th August 1956’s “Flying Scotsman”. The later BR crest was applied to the tender in October 1957.
With the introduction of diesels in 1958 most A1s lost expess duties though we have a 60145 sighting on the “Flying Scotsman”, “North Briton” and “Northumbrian” in 1958/9. Both normal and special ordinary East Coast trains were still hauled. The new decade dawned with an arrival at Kings Cross on 27th February on the “Tynesider”, a diversion via Cambridge on 8th May, the “Flying Scotsman” from the ‘Cross on 18th June and from Newcastle on the 24th then the Down “Anglo-Scottish Car Carrier” on 13th August. 20th November brought a transfer to Copley Hill after 11 years at 52A. Now named trains from West Yorkshire were rostered. The next two years brought the “Harrogate Sunday Pullman”, “Queen of Scots”, “Yorkshire Pullman”, “West Riding” and “White Rose” – as well as the “Northumbrian.” On 8th June 1961 Saint Mungo was on Royal train standby at Selby. Numerous runs were made on the 6.12 pm KX-Leeds passenger and the 6.28 pm KX-York parcels. A number of visits were made back to Newcastle in the first two months in 1963. Reallocation to York was on 8th September. Some repairs were carried out at Darlington Works between 16th November and 14th December as such work had been transferred there. Between 20th February and 15th June 1964 60145 was stored at Hull Dairycoates shed. Next day it was back in traffic. On the 27th it was hauling a goods past Ryhope on the Durham coast line. A sign of the times was working the Dagenham-Bathgate cars through Newcastle on 14th April 1965. Troop specials were the 1X95 Marylebone-Stirling into Newcastle on 27thJune and the12 coach Chippenham-Newcastle of 11th July. A light engine working to Saltley shed was made to be ready to work 5th September’s Warwickshire Railway Society’s tour between Birmingham and Banbury. Christmas Day saw more normal work with the 6.30 pm relief York-Newcastle and the 28th had 60145 from Darlington-York on the 7.30 am Newcastle-KX. Saint Mungo’s most famous run was on New Year’s Eve when the NER ran a special York-Newcastle and return to commemorate the ending of main line steam. Like others of the class it was bereft of nameplates but its performance still inspired magazine articles two and four decades later.
On 2nd January 1966 60145 was transferred to Darlington. It was often on standby at the station. It still did a variety of work: bringing the 8.40 am ex-Birmingham into its Newcastle destination on 13th January, taking the 4.00 pm Newcastle-York parcels three days later and bringing a goods into Healey Mills yard on 19th March. A number of times in March and April it set off from Newcastle with the 3M30 9.04 am newspaper empties to Manchester. From 27th March it lay withdrawn on Darlington shed then on 17th April it was reinstated, but from York shed. Next day it was on the early hours newspaper train from Manchester which it took forward from York to Newcastle, returning with the 3M30. Our final recorded working is on 19th April when it worked the 3.50 am York-Stockton passenger, hauled a parcels to Sunderland, ran light engine to Heaton and returned to York on the 3M30 newspaper empties. Saint Mungo was seen on York shed daily until 20th May; from the next day it was noted minus chimney but on 19th June it was finally withdrawn. It lay at York shed and by 1st August was minus its tender. Despite an attempt by the late Geoff Drury to save it, sale for scrap to A. Draper of Hull came that month though cutting up didn’t start until 26th September.
Saint Mungo, the last A1, had survived 60124 by three months. Its lifespan of 17 years 3 months was considerably longer than the A1 average of 15 years 2 months. It had seven boilers in its life. However, all is not lost. A nameplate can be seen, fittingly, in Glasgow Transport Museum. Several years into the 1990s the photo, supplied by Drapers, of Saint Mungo’s scrapping was used by The A1 Trust to inspire people to covenant to build the 50th A1, 60163.
This history was compiled by Phil Champion based on a database compiled by Tommy Knox and with reference to the RCTS book “Locomotives of the LNER Part 2A” as background