Dedicated Covenanting Scheme Launched by A1 Project
The A1 Steam Locomotive Trust, the registered charity that is building the first new mainline steam locomotive in Britain for almost 40 years, has launched a new financing scheme, ‘Dedicated Covenants’, which will enable supporters of the A1 Project to fund the construction of individual components of Peppercorn class A1
No 60163 Tornado.
Dedicated Covenants are only available to individuals and groups of supporters who have already each taken out a general covenant of £5 per month, the price of a pint of beer a week in the North East when the project was launched in 1990.
Dedicated Covenantors will: have their names inscribed on the official roll of honour at Darlington detailing the components sponsored; be presented with a framed certificate recording the sponsorship, photograph of the component and copy of the drawing at the Annual Convention following its manufacture; and wherever possible have their name stamped on the component.
Commenting on the announcement, Mark Allatt, Marketing Director of The A1 Steam Locomotive Trust, said, “This major fund-raising initiative is a unique opportunity for people to have their name on a component of a brand new mainline steam locomotive. The funds will help to ensure that Tornado will be completed within the next three years.”
Dedicated Covenanting packages will range from single covenants to those of six or more, ideal for local groups of supporters or clubs or industry to sponsor.
Mark Allatt continued, “I urge all supporters of the Trust who want to see Tornado completed quickly to subscribe to this new Dedicated Covenanting scheme and have the satisfaction of pointing to the part of the locomotive they paid for when the locomotive enters service.”
The scheme was first trialled in the Trust’s quarterly journal, The Pioneer, and was twice oversubscribed within days of its publication. This first batch consisted:
- patterns for spring guide, bottom wedge, valve head and inside reversing shaft. (one covenant or a £300 donation)
- patterns for reversing shaft bracket, bogie side rubbing block, steam brake cylinder & cover and spring eyebolt bracket.(one covenant or a £300 donation)
- patterns for brake shaft bracket and cartazzi hornblocks.(two covenants or a £600 donation)
- locomotive cab. (six covenants or a £1,800 donation)
- Components now available for sponsorship include:
- driving wheel splashers. (one covenant or a £300 donation for each of six)
- crank axle roller bearings. (four covenants or a £1,200 donation for each of four)
- intermediate axle roller bearings. (eight covenants or a £2,400 donation for each of two)
- trailing axle roller bearings. (eight covenants or a £2,400 donation for each of two)
- bogie axle roller bearings.(two covenants or a £600 donation for each of four)
- cartazzi roller bearings. (three covenants or a £900 donation for each of four)
- top slide bar forgings. (three covenants or a £900 donation for each of three)
- bottom slide bar forgings. (two covenants or a £600 donation for each of two)
Further new components available for sponsorship will be published in each issue of The Pioneer and in the railway press.